Thursday, December 11, 2008

random memory

When I was born my maternal grandmother gave me a blanky that she made. That thing became my security blanket for probably close to a decade. (sad, embarassing, but true). For the first couple years of life, I was never without my yellow friend. It trailed close behind me everywhere I went. Following toddler years, I weened down to mostly sleeping with it. I made it through typical daily routine without toting it along. I did include it in play time; I brought it out when it was time to play house, dolls, or picnic. It went with me on sleepovers to grandma's as well.

Progressively, I became embarassed about it. The backside of the blanky was shredded due to being drug around in earlier years. Plus, it was faded, and just babyish. However, I still clung to it (in secret).

Then one day, without any prompting, I stopped. I just looked at it, and said, "That's it, we're done". And I THREW IT IN THE GARBAGE!
No kidding. I totally trashed it. (How sentimental of me)

That must have been 15+ years ago. I never thought about it again, until now.
I won't try to psychoanalyze what this could possibly say about my character or how my childhood has influenced my adult behaviors... yikes...too deep

However, I will say that I am regretting that impulsive decision all those years ago.

1 comment:

Dixie & Markus said...

Ha! Poor little blanky, loved to no end for years and tossed in the trash w/ no hesitation in one single moment. RIP yellow blanky