Wednesday, November 18, 2009

the things you do for your babies...

OK. Right. So I don't have any babies.

But, I do have a tree...

So, my tree got sick.  I don't really know how this even happened, but it got infested with aphids.  Aphids are the most disgusting little creatures. They are also known as PLANT LICE!!! EWE!!!! They reproduce faster than you can imagine and eat your tree.  They are the size of the head of a pin and they congregate on the leaves and buds.  From a distance they look like mold... Ewe.

So, as some of you may know from reading The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar, lady bugs are an aphids worst nightmare.

I ordered about 1500 or so in the mail after my aphid killing medicine failed me.

This is what that adventure looked like.

Behold:


disgusting aphids


disgusting aphid spawn


You can order live insects via snail mail, dontcha know.


Let the fun begin!


Coooool


I bet you are squirming now, right! haha


Little machines gettin down to business!


I didn't even realize, but there was aphid larvae all over the pot too, and the lady bugs took care of it!


Go, go, go!!!


My lucky little friends


Did I mention my roommate hates me now?


I just purchased a vacuum yesterday....

3 comments:

Dixie & Markus said...

Your apartment just had a WAR!! lady bugs vs. aphids

Jessica said...

War is a necessary evil at times... However, in the end, they all died... (and were layed to rest in a vacuum.) hm.

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great blog & photos! Did you know that ladybugs need a home! New blog
http://ladybugneedahome.blogspot.com/2008/08/lady-bugs-need-home.html
eblogger link