Sunday, March 28, 2010

Just a kid.

For a while my dancers have been asking me if I have a baby, or if I have children or if I am a mommy.  I answer no, & quickly change the subject to less complicated matters like tendus or plies.

Lately, my girls have been following up with asking me if I have a mommy.  The first couple times they asked, I laughed to myself and said "yes," what a funny thing to ask...
Monday, it finally occurred to me what was going on in their heads when I had the following conversation with Sarah:


"Miss Jossy?..... do you have a baby?"

"nooo."

"oh......Do you have a mommy?"

"yyyes."

"Do you live with her?"

"no..."

"why not?"

"uh... b/c I'm a grown up."


Oh, I see what's going on here. One either has a mommy (i.e. lives with her) or is one.  

I have since realized that my kids are confused about what I am b/c I am neither.  I feel like I give off a sufficient adult vibe...  They must see right through me and recognize that the person leading dance class is practically on their maturity level.  It freaks them out b/c I'm really tall, and for some unknown reason, I'm in charge.

conversation 2.

"Miss Jossy? Why do you get all the papers?" (referring to a small stack of attendance sheets [as if it's a cool thing to have])

"B/c I'm the teacher."

"AWE Miss Jossy! You're just a KID!"

...

2 comments:

Dixie & Markus said...

hahaha!! How flattering! Oh, to be youthful:)

Lindsey said...

Oh cute!! Those little ones feel like you are a kindred spirit, cuz u are so fun and full of energy....like them!!! That's cute that they think you are just one of them!!! Some do not have as much luck with kids so kudos to you!! miss you girlie!!