Tuesday, May 5, 2009

unmet expectations

Oh, the joys of womanhood! I do enjoy being of the female variety. I love the pampering, primping, moisturizing, painting and styling. I live for girl's night when my girlies and I get together to laugh, talk and indulge non-stop. I even and especially embrace that which is typically "expected" of women; the cooking and cleaning and nurturing. I love being a woman... about 3/4ths of the time. Yesiree... about 3 solid weeks out of the month, I'm just tickled pink.
Then for a good seven days I'm not.
I swear, even when I think I'm paying attention, that dreadful week of mood swings sneaks up on me still. Those pesky hormones trick me into behave morbidly irrational. I get uber emotional over normally mild inconveniences. I feel justified in my anger and tears...It's real. Eventually, it occurs to me that perhaps I am, in fact, hormonal. Unfortunately, it usually comes a beat and 1/2 too late. No doubt, by that point, I have openly moped, complained, blamed, cried and lashed out. Basically, your proverbial pit of despair.

Yep. That'd be me today.

6 comments:

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Right on, sistah! PMS is nothing but madness. Even the most enlightened peace seekers can't explain it. Why do you think monks are single?

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one.

The Jensen's said...

Totally agree with you on this post!

Dixie & Markus said...

Word! It suprises me every month!

amanda said...

i am with you!

Amanda said...

You seriously crack me up! Glad to know it's not just me with this issue. =]