Monday, October 26, 2009

Books and Projects

I just joined a book club and we're reading Tipping Point. I've read Malcolm Gladwell's other two books, Outliers and Blink and I LOVED them. For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting into Tipping Point...



...Maybe b/c last night I watched the Jane Austin Book Club. I'm so in the mood for some Jane Austin in my life... I've always thought of myself as very much like Joe March from Little Women. She was the one who went off to New York to further discover herself and to write. She was the one who approached life differently than her sisters and other girls, to appease herself. Although, she wasn't always 100% sure of herself. She was the one who took her sweet time getting married and when she did, she married not the man everybody expected her to and pictured her with, but another who fulfilled her in ways even she didn't anticipate... Anyways. Yeah, I love Jane Austin's books...

Wow, so this entry took an unexpected turn... It's just me musing. That's all.

In other news I have several dyo projects that I'm wondering if I'm even going to bother tackling. I have a little couch-thingy that needs to be reupholstered, two books shelves that need a paint/stain job, (which I don't even have yet) and a dresser that needs something. I'm about 90% sure that I'm only going to be in Richmond for another year and a half... A year and a half. ...That's long enough to want to cutify my newly inherited stuff right?
Anyways, I'm open to ideas. I know I'm going to have to research my favorite blogs, like little green notebook for how to's... but here are my pieces.

Does anybody know where I can get wooden veneers for the front of my dresser?



So what do you think? What should I do to these hideous guys?

3 comments:

julie said...

There's lots of fascinating parts in Tipping Point, just feel free to skim very quickly.

Have you read Jane Eyre? It's not Austen or Alcott..but it is amazing.

You're ambitious. I would take that chair and dresser and leave it on Katy's doorstep.

Katy said...

Yes, keep them. Or ship them (esp. the dresser) to me.
Check out Design Sponge (before and afters) for awesome dresser pics. I need a dresser for my girls room so bad, so I have been watching for one and gathering ideas. Good Luck! I will check back to scrutinize your work. And my parents blog is private- yes. Sorry, they won't budge. GA's have to be extremely careful about what gets shared and put to their name.

Dixie & Markus said...

Oh, oh oh! I love a good project! I just picked up a rocking chair that has been sitting in the rain for months. I'm hoping it dries out okay so I can sand and paint it. Are you still in your orange mood? I could see some sort of orange fabric on the sofa and the wooden part painted white, maybe?? Like a dream-sicle.