Friday, September 25, 2009

enchiladas


A dear friend directed me to a blog of a fellow Richmonder who cooks. Her blog is called ahintofhoney.blogspot.com
Check.it.out.

I made her enchilada dish. Except, true to form, I made some changes... It was my first time ever making enchiladas....AND they were the best I've ever had. For reals. I get an A for this one. (especially since I made a scallop pasta the day before and Clint pretty much hated it.) But really. One of the best things I've made.

I should have taken pictures, but I didn't, so I'll steal hers...so you get an idea.

Her ingredients with my improvements ;)

INGREDIENTS
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (I used the whole thing actually ~ 4 cups??)
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups Monteray Jack, Pepper Jack, or Cheddar Cheese, shredded (Make sure you get a good expensive cheese people, the cheese will make it or break it)
1 medium onion, chopped (yes, the whole thing, and I did a purple one)
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (really you can go crazy with the olive oil, I always do)
2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
6 Tbsp. sour cream (I actually used plain yogurt and 6 ounces...ha)
dash of cayenne pepper (more for more spice!)
salt and pepper, to taste
6-12 corn or whole wheat flour tortillas (depends on the size)
cilantro, for garnish
pico de gallo, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. In a medium bowl mix together chicken, beans, and 1 cup of cheese. Set aside.

2. Preheat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and golden. Add tomato sauce and simmer until thick, about 15 minutes (reduce heat if it is sputtering violently)*ouch!*. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sour cream. Season to taste with cayenne, salt, and pepper. Pour about 1/3 of the sauce over the chicken mixture and stir to combine.

++ I added some dashes of lemon juice and like a handful of sugar to the sauce to make it mas delicioso.++

3. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Warm tortillas by microwaving them for a minute. Divide the filling between the tortillas, roll them up, and place them side by side in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.

4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and a brown crust is forming on top. Remove from the oven and serve topped with cilantro and pico de gallo.

Serves 4+

DELISH!!!
This is one of Clint's new faves.

3 comments:

Dixie & Markus said...

Yummy! Enchiladas are also one of Markus's favorite dishes. This recipe is probably a lot better than mine. Revising now!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh that looks delish. I'm bookmarking it.

Have a great weekend!

Tina said...

Jessica, that looks delish! I am seriously going to have to give it a try. I have a houseful of mouths to feed. I'll let ya know how it turns out.