Thursday, May 22, 2008

Happy Graduation Joely Roely Poely!!!

November 21, 1989 my littlest brother, David Joel, blessed our family with his birth. I was 7 years old. Soon after he was brought home from the hospital, I remember my mom rocking him in the rocking chair. I had just come home from school and wanted to check out the newest member of our family. I walked around and layed my head on the backside of the rocking chair and just stared at him. He was so tiny and so cute; with a full head of black hair (unlike all the rest of us bald blondies). Before I knew it, I had tears streaming down my face. My mom, concerned, pulled me around and asked me why I was crying. I didn't know why; I wasn't sad. I was happy! My mom asked me if I was sad b/c I thought having a new brother meant I wouldn't get as much attention. I shrugged. That sounded reasonable...maybe I AM sad! And I ran off to play.

Looking back, I know that in my 7 year old mind, I didn't know how to articulate that I was crying tears of joy. I loved my little brother so much, and somehow I knew that he was a special spirit.

Joel grew to be a funny little kid. He was the only one out of all of us that laughed out loud when he watched cartoons. (The rest of us just stared blankly at the t.v. like zombies apparently) He was/is always laughing and smiling.

When Joel was in elementary school he and his little friend Jordan asked me if I would teach them songs on the piano. I did, but then they both surpassed me in like a month and became musical prodigies. I'm not kidding. No seriously, they did.

(I won't go into Jordan's accomplishments...but he is pretty incredible too...)

Joel has amazed us all by his compositions. He writes beautiful and surprising music on the piano that is both classical and modern in style. He has also picked up the guitar and has a sound similar to Jack Johnson. Did I mention that he also sings? I don't know where this kid came from...

Anyways... I'm really proud of him. He's just a really good kid, with a good heart, and truck loads of talent.

Good job Joel, and congrats on your graduation! I love you.
(Good luck with Juilliard!)






I was a Spartan at Minico, but he chose to go to Burley High and join the rival Bobcats!!! awe well...




Joel and his friend


Our nephew Tysir and me waiting for the graduation


Cutest couple ever! Tysir found a little girl with whom to flirt! I didn't know that babies took interest in each other that early, but they were fascinated with one another, it was so cute.


Random dust storm after the graduation! We don't usually see those here; it was crazy.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Hey this looks like familiar territory... when you come to Twin give me a call. It would be so fun to see you!

Anonymous said...

GO BURLEY! I am glad he chose burley over minico! Hehehe Did you miss the southern Idaho feel, or are you just glad you don't live there anymore!?