Monday, May 19, 2008

I hate flying.

Airports are the second most annoying place on Earth for me to be; second only to traffic court...
The flying part of flying is actually not that bad. I enjoy being high in the air and looking out the window. Before we get too high to see the ground, I like watching the world from a bird's eye view. It's awe-inspiring to see an entire city at once, with all the cars flowing in and out, like nutrients in a blood vessel feeding a living organism. But then, speaking of organisms, I remember I'm sharing like a gallon of air with a thousand people, and I gag as I shift uncomfortably in my chair that a hundred thousand other people have farted in.
I'm being melodramatic.
What I actually hate is security: paying for overweight and extra baggage, having to hold my see-through plastic bags with my "liquids", taking of my shoes...etc. etc.
However, the other day, before my flight to SLC from Atlanta, I modified my bad attitude of security...

With my carry-on in tow, I'm walking around the airport b/c I have a five hour layover,(Yet another reason to hate airports); and I hear a loud voice. I am already walking in the direction of the sound, so I go to check out what the commotion is. My first thought is that some employee is getting a verbal lashing from a higher up, but when I get closer, see the source, it is a fifty something, five foot nothing white dude, screaming at the top of his lungs (not an exaggeration) at a tall 250 pound black airport employee. What the.... I'm thinking "this black dude could do some damage if he didn't want to lose his job".
Come to find out the screamer is a retired marine (that explains that healthy pitch). He's going on about respect, and saying the f-word in ways that is making my heart race. A baby starts crying, and by this point an impressive crowd has formed. It is a freak show. This dude has no shame. None, and I never do find out why he is publicly losing his mind and dignity. Regardless, for a moment, I am genuinely frightened. I am thinking that at any moment this shorty is gonna pull out a 9 and bust a cap. Then I remember, "hey, wait, we're in an airport ...Ha..ha look at this dude...point and laugh..." phew.

After security takes marine man away, I decide to pull out my laptop and make a new workout play list for my ipod. I am totally jamming out in a corner, and momentarily forget how much I hate being here. I look up to check out my surroundings every once and a while, as every savvy traveler should; making eye contact with peeps and exchanging smiles. People are so nice here. I finish my play list, and start listening to Miley Cyrus, b/c I'm totally still 13 years old in my head. I'm loving her "See You Again" song, so I try to turn up the volume. It doesn't get any louder...that's weird... I touch the earphones in my ears, and follow the cord down to my lap top. My stomach drops and my face gets hot as I realize that the cord is not plugged in and my pre-teen pop music is coming straight from my lap top speakers. I too have been disturbing the peace.

5 comments:

The Suckows said...

don't you love being a retard? ...i do

Jessica said...

lol...oh yeah...

Dixie & Markus said...

This is hilarious! Miley Cyrus, Jessica??? Are you serious?? Haha!

Dixie & Markus said...

ps When are you going to visit the Holloway clan in TF? I'm sooooooooooooo jealous!

PawPaw & Grammy said...

So good to see your beautiful self, and thanx for the great dip. We enjoyed hanging out with you comparing cancer stories. I think of you often when I encounter yet another step with this whole process. You were so young and brave. I'm thinking maybe a red wig, short and curly or not.