Friday, May 9, 2008

How do you like your pizza?

Growing up, I was never big on pizza.
I have a childhood memory where my mom's friend asked my brothers and me where we would like to have lunch; McDonald's or pizza? Without missing a beat I enthusiastically replied Mickey D's. (Pizza? Are you kidding me? Pizza doesn't come with a TOY!) To that, she responded, "Huh...you are the first kid I've ever met that would pass up pizza for McDonald's..."?
At that moment, time stood still. I was old enough to pick up on social cues, and sensed a tone that suggested I hadn't picked what she wanted. I stared up at this "friend" of my mom's in silence, wondering how I should respond to that. Being one who aimed to please, I debated changing my mind. Also being an oldest child, keenly aware of my veto power, I ultimately shrugged, and jumped in the car.
Don't worry, my lil bros totally backed me up. We had a deal back then, I got their French fries, and they got my "pop" (sometimes my burger).

To this day, French fries are still my food of choice. If I had no self control, and if poor nutrition had no consequences, I would likely eat French fries 3 times a day.

Despite this love affair with fries, over a year ago, I branched out of my comfort zone, and slowly began including such pizza in my junk food menu.
There is really but one pizza place from which I will eat, and that is Papa Johns. Their pizza is not even "pizza" to me. (It's not disgusting floppy white "crust" with nasty plastic cheese on top with greasy toppings.) It is as if their crust came out of a French bakery, flaky and savory; and like they got fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes and made their sauce to order... It makes my taste buds sing.
I get my pizza topped with their excellent mozzarella cheese, additional fresh tomatoes, banana peppers, and onions. It is such a delicious treat. What's more is it's even better cold in the morning for breakfast. I'd be drooling just now, thinking about it, except I just had some. Indeed, quite good.


Don't be fooled by it's appearance. This is no ordinary pizza.

3 comments:

Dixie & Markus said...

You have a great gift in writing. When is your book coming out?

Cheri said...

I'm there with you on the pizza thing. I've NEVER liked pizza, unless it's the take in bake kind. Then I'm still taking paper towels and dabbing at the oil to get as much off as possible. Their chicken garlic stuff is amazing, by-the-way.

Jessica said...

mann land are you being sarcastic? lol