Saturday, May 22, 2010

Congrats Neda-Jan!

In Spanish if you put "ita" at the end of the word, it makes it sort of cutsie.  Like, for example, my friend Alba.  Sometimes I call her Albita.  Or a more familiar example, senorita means little senora, or woman...

Similarly, in Farsi, if you want to turn a persons name into a term of endearment, you put -jan (sounds like John) at the end.  So, Neda's name isn't actually Neda-jan.  But it is if you think she's the cutest person ever and want her to feel special!

Anyways.  Just a little cultural lesson... Ahem.

Neda-jan, is one of my besties and she just graduated from dental school today! Yay!  I'm super proud of her.  She also just got engaged a couple weeks ago, so things are definitely on the up and up in her world! 

In fact, many of my friends are taking big steps this year.

Fizza is starting dental hygiene school.
Omar is starting medical school.
Shawna is planning her wedding.
Marianne is starting grad school.
Jennifer P is preparing to go through the temple for the first time.
Traci is about to have a baby.
The aforementioned Neda is, as of today, a doctor now and engaged.
Nate' is starting a restaurant.
and I'm moving to Florida and starting a business. (I mention myself, b/c yes, I am my own friend.)

This certainly isn't the first time any of my amigos have done something noteworthy.  The majority of my Idaho friends are married with children and mortgages by now.  Normally, my go-to reaction to these sort of grown up behaviors is bewilderment. (I've been in denial for years about being an adult.)
Instead, today, I'm feeling kind of humbled and proud (can you feel pride and humility simultaneously?).  I get that this is a unique and important time for me and some of my buds.  I'm grateful that I get to be a witness to their lives and that I have them to be witnesses of mine.  They are a type of high grade quality that you don't come across often.  Life is challenging, and makes me cry a lot (these days), but it is pretty great, especially when you are sharing it with people who are awesomely fantasticles.




A word about Neda's family: First of all, Neda's grandma is the sweetest and coolest old lady ever. And she thinks I'm pretty neat too b/c I know how to say like 2 words in Farsi.  The first time I met her, I made sure to impress her by saying Boosem comb (kiss me) and Hosh mezza (delicious).  After that, she wanted me to marry her grandson! ha!

Secondly, after Neda's graduation, her whole family and I went to her apartment for food and hanging out.  They proceeded to crank the music and spontaneously dance in the kitchen.  I joined in.  Why not? It was totally cool.

No comments: