Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pioneer woman encounter

Clint thinks I should rename my blog "Pioneer girl" or "Pioneer Lady"... I'm considering it. 
Because I'm mildly obsessed with Ree Drummond and her ways.

That's random and actually has little to do with this post.

Actually, I take it back.  It has everything to do with this post. Ha. Tricked you.

Last Tuesday, I had nobody to hang out with.  Jen was flying to Vegas.  Clint was studying. Neda was getting engaged... literally.  What to do?

I knew that Pioneer woman was going to be only two hours north of me in the thriving cuidad The District of Columbia.  (Yes, that's DC folks, in case you didn't know.)  She was doing a book signing.

On a whim, and I mean, quite spontaneously, I decided to jump in my car and brave our capital's traffic to get an autograph from the one woman on the planet I care to idolize.

I arrived 20 minutes before 5pm to Borders in Fairfax, VA.  (This is important to note, b/c I didn't actually talk to PW till 9:30 pm.)

The moment I walked in, I remembered that Ree's target demographic is the stay at home mom.  About 98% of the people there were middle aged women with children in tow.  It was funny.  I am a weird one, I guess.  Most girls my age...well, a lot of girls my age are actually moms too by now, come to think of it.  But what I was going to say is that most girls my age I think are more interested in .... I don't even know, actually.  I'm not like most girls my age.

Forget that.  I simply stood there and marveled.



I think that this is why-

I think that most women like PW b/c they're in the same boat as her.  They are moms too.  Their lives are dedicated to their children and cooking and photographing their lives.  They read Ree's posts and they're like "yeah, meee too!  I totally feel ya sister!"

(These 2 gals were kind enough to chat it up with me a bit while we shared our space in line.  They even held my spot when I ran next door to get my iphone a car charger, since I used up all the battery updating my status on facebook-  The lady in green, on the left has a food blog: Love Feast Table)

I'll tell you why I like PW.  I like how she writes.  I like how when she lays down a sentence you can actually hear her voice and it's funny as all get out.  She's real.  I like how she embraces life and does nothing halfway.  It's like one day she decided to learn to cook and then she became amazing at it, one step, and one day at a time.  One day, she decided to learn how to take pictures and little by little she's mastered it.  I like how in her story "Black heels to tractor wheels" she took a risk.

I know.  This is so cheesy, but she inspires me.  Unlike the women who are already like her, I want to be her.

So, I went to DC all alone, so I could get her to sign her name in her cookbook.



I rehearsed in my mind for 4 hours standing in line what I was going to say to her when it was my turn.

Like-
"Did you ever think when you were in LA spotting celebrities that one day you'd be one?"

You know, clever banter like that...

Or maybe something more sentimental, like-
"In black heels to tractor wheels, you followed your gut and left LA to move to Chicago.  You left your boyfriend behind, who you loved b/c you had to follow your heart and do something just for you.  You took a huge risk.  Your story gave me inspiration and courage to take my own risk and do this thing in my life."

Or how about-
"Ohmygosh, I love your red hair, you're so classy!  I'm a former ballerina myself, and I too love a nice pair of chaps on a man!  Can I [literally] have your autograph! Is Josh single?- 'cause just to be near you and be friends with you, I'd marry him!"

...too much?

Apparently, I thought so too, cause after hours of standing in line.  This was our conversation:

Ree: "Hi! I love your skirt!"
Me: Oh thanks! ...wow, look at all your presents! (*a lot of the people gave her gifts?...weird...why didn't I think of that??*)
Ree: *signing my book* "haha...oh yeah..."
Me: Well, you're very loved!
Ree: *hands me my book*
Me: Thanks, nice to see you!
Ree:  Thanks for coming!!


Awkward photo... I'm so cool, check me out!

Me...*walking away*. wow.  "you're very loved"?  what kind of bonehead comment is that?... ... hm that was sort of anticlimactic.  Honestly, I was hoping she would ask for my blog address and immediately comment on one of my posts via iphone.  She liked my skirt.  Cool.  I knew she would.  We ballerinas love a good skirt.  She makes over a million dollars a year on that blog?  unbelievable!  Well, it's believable... My legs hurt. 

Anyways...

Afterwards, I called my good buddy Scott who resides there in Washington.  We went to the nearest place that was open past 10pm, Hooters, and ordered some low quality grub.  It was really all about the conversation anyways.  OK And-let's be honest-the wing sauce.


Hey Scott,

"...Hi!..um I'm um going to be your um.. well your hooter's girl for the evening..."

BAH!!!

I think our waitress knew that her job was sort of...a comedy act.  After she was finished being awkward, she was really cute and sweet.  Get that girl a sweater!

um... excuse me? Can I get some fries?

And that was my random Tuesday last week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Rehearsing never works for me. The actual conversation either sounds rehearsed or I've blanked and blurted out whatever my frozen brain could manage in the moment. At least you sounded sincere.

And you were rocking the skirt.

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Okay, awesome for you for being spontaneous. You never forget those little adventures in life. I don't know anything about this lady. Maybe I'll check out her blog. Now a story to share with you:
Years ago I went on a Slim Fast diet with Josh and his brother and every Monday night our "sensible dinner" was Hooters wings. LOVE 'em. The funny thing is that about 4 of the waitresses in BR were girls I went to high school with and they all had "grown" since the last time I saw them. One of them is on the billboards all over the place. She's an official Hooter's girl. Maybe I chose the wrong path in life. Nope.

LoveFeast Table said...

It was so nice to meet you!! And I loved your skirt too!! Just in case you didn't find it yet...you really did remind us all of her! http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/29.100.370
Good luck in your new adventure!! I know we only spoke for a bit, but I'm pretty sure you're going to have great success!
Thanks for the link love!
At the Table,
Kristin