Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 2

In case you didn't catch it yesterday, I'm counting to 10- Till Clint comes back and till I can stop being so dang productive.

So, against my will, I cried all day long yesterday. I tried not to. And I didn't think I was going to. I dropped Clint off at the airport at 5:30 am and congratulated myself repeatedly on the drive home for not getting emotional, (and also for not falling asleep at the wheel). I taught my ballet classes from 8:30 till 11:00 am and felt nothing but happiness. I came home, and took a nap. When I awoke, I restarted my day with packing and bawling. It continued off an on till 11 pm.

Awesome.

I've been so excited and so focused on things to come. However, it was when I started closing up my boxes with clear tape, I let myself recognize at that moment I was saying "goodbye".

(It didn't help that my awesome friends were too busy for me all day to return a single phone call, and Clint was 2,000 miles away frolicking through hills of green with a 9-iron in his hands. Whatever. I get it. It's not all about me.)

Anyways, let me compile a list of things Richmond that I'm saying farewell to.

1. Spontaneous lunches with Clint. I live 1 mile from his school, so a few times a week, when he has a long lunch, I can just swing by and pick him up. Our fave go-to places: Aziza's, and Lift.

2. My gorge' apartment; favorite place I've ever lived. Except for Spain, but that doesn't count.

3. The James. Yes, I realize that I'm moving to Florida, the Sunshine state; a land of innumerable lakes; surrounded on 3 sides with ocean, but I love our urban river.

4. The fan & Monument Ave. I love driving through there and imagining living in those houses. So pretty.

5. Kuba Kuba, Edo's Squid, Comfort, Cous Cous, Millie's. Good, delicious, soul filling food.

6. Trader Joes. At present there does not exist 1 single Trader Joe's in Florida. The thought alone gives me withdrawal symptoms. (Notice how this is the third food-related item on my list.)

7. The single's ward. HA! YEAH RIGHT!... OK, truthfully, I sorta will miss some of those peeps.

Ok. Hold the phone.
As I'm writing this list, my answers aren't coming spontaneously & without much thought. I'm thinking..."yeah, I'm gonna kinda miss MOM projects, and being in school, and leaves in the fall, and la dee dah..."

Here's the truth. I am so ready for this move my butt cheeks are burning for anticipating the drive. I can't wait to start this new adventure. There are truly 2 things that I'm going to miss in Richmond, that will likely cause me to hiccup and sputter over. They include Trader Joe's and Clint. I'm not going to see Clint on a bi-daily basis. That's going to be an adjustment. I'm not going to get to shop bi-weekly at Trader Joe's. That's going to be...hard. But, Clint will still be very much a part of my new life, and I'll find another grocery store to love. I'm resilient like that.

"What about your friends you cold hearted snake?", you ask? I'll answer that when one of them returns my call. K thanks.

Over and out.

3 comments:

Dixie said...

Florida is going to be FUN! Dry up those eyes! The time you spend with Clint when you start up the LDR is going to be quality. And you'll both appreciate it a billion times more than you used to. But it will definitely NOT be easy. Trust me.

Jessica said...

Yep. Agreed. And you would know, having been there once too.

tutus n bowties said...

I need an update! Why are you moving to Florida? It sounds like a great adventure but emotional as well. Good luck with everything.