Thursday, May 20, 2010

Raw food

Nate' has suggested that she and I go on a raw/vegan diet/cleanse for 3 weeks this summer. I'm often down for a good health challenge. I've been going to my fitness classes pretty regularly, lately and my energy level has been higher. However, I'd kind of like to take it to the next level. 

I'm a big proponent of fasting and eating veggies as much as possible, especially the raw variety. I believe that taking a break from foods that don't come directly from the ground to your plate gives the body a nice break. It allows it to clean out some toxins and heal.  But don't get me wrong.  You vegetarians and vegans out there are missing out.  Meat, cheese and refined sugar is the spice of life.  I'm just saying once in a while, give it a rest.

I decided to give my raw food diet a test run last night for dinner and all day today.  I just want a lil preview to see if I can handle it.

My dinner last night:
I had a handful of almonds and this delicious looking meal:

I went to a pretty hippie, local grocer called Ellwood Thompson's and picked up some stuff from their "Raw Bar".  They had 2 things.  So, I got them both.
That white junk on the left is raw cabbage with a poppyseed "dressing" and some onions.  It was gross.
The stuff on the right is raw "spaghetti"! And it was not bad, surprisingly.  It had portabella mushrooms and stringed veggies to pose as "noodles".  It just tasted like bruschetta.

Today, I ate almonds, raspberries, strawberries with acai berry juice, and water.  Nnnnuts and berries. I didn't feel like consuming any veggies today, so that's all I've eaten.  No wonder I kept day dreaming about Feta and steak and macaroni and cheese...  Despite the food fantasies, I'm not that hungry and my energy level is normal.  You're supposed to feel kind of tortured the first couple of days of eating this way, but then your energy should go through the roof and all kinds of awesome things will happen; like clearer skin, a clearer mind, faster healing of sore muscles and wounds.

I'm hoping that the toxins (read: knots) in my neck and the zits on my face will scram. 

If nothing else, this is a good mind over matter exercise.  I'll be able to tell if I can do it for real next month.  I haven't decided on how long I'm going to carry on this current charade.  Probably till Sunday.  It won't be any longer than that, as Clint returns Monday.  And that event will call for some feasting.

2 comments:

amanda said...

i have done that a few times, and it is hard for me...but i always feel better. good luck!

Dixie said...

I tried this for 5 days a couple years ago. I was supposed to go for ten. could not do it!! No energy. I had to have some meat. My body wanted it big style!