Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Little Women

Every now and again, when I get a moment, I like to take inventory of my life. It usually ends with my exclaim, "What am I doing!? Everything is all wrong!!"
The natural way we humans check our general status in life is by comparing ourselves to our contemporaries. I have girlfriends my age getting ready to have their 3rd child...
Yeah.
By that standard, I'm failing miserably.
You know how you grow up and your mom tells you you're unique and special? Well, it's true. I'm totally "special". I don't know a single soul who goes about life using the same quirky methods I do.
On rare occasion, this does worry me, and therefore cause me to call my mom and then worry her.
However, I do find solace knowing that my getting-ready-to-have-their-third-child contemporaries are worrying that they're messing up their kids for life b/c they accidentally forgot to do some perfect mom thing.
I don't think I'm wrong in saying that we all worry about sucking at life.
I don't know how you make yourself feel better about it, but let me offer what ALWAYS makes me feel better.
It's not ice-cream (I'm lactose-intolerant), and nope, it's not chocolate (I'm more of a vanilla girl myself).
Little Women. My all time favorite movie.
I'm Jo in this movie. Josephine March is a free spirited, unconventional girl. She's "hopelessly flawed", as am I, and we really "get" each other. She gives up marrying Laurie (every time I'm like "NO!!! Don't let him get away! Your bratty little sister is going to steal him!), and she goes to the big city to pursue her dreams. She worries that she's untalented and that she'll never fit in anywhere. But it's not true! We all love Jo! And her dreams do come true! And... In the end she marries the adorable foreign dude.
Do you see how I'm Jo? I'm totally Jo. And just like that, I'm happy. Works every time.

5 comments:

The Suckows said...

i read your entire blog today...lots of time on my hands, i guess. your straight hair was beautiful, don't do it too often or ppl will get used to it and then it won't be so spectacular. i wish i had some time during the day to go jogging, i'm jealous that you're running MARATHONS! hamburger...check this out.

Jessica said...

Nikki! You are awesome! That dream hamburger thing might be right...yikes
thanks for reading my blog! I'm having so much fun keeping in touch with people this way!

Cheri said...

I guess this is the curse of being LDS, it's ingrained within us that we are on a time limit for getting married and having children. Being one of your "has three kids" friends, I was so totally not planning on the life I have right now, it was just what I was supposed to have. You're absoultely goregous/fun and it's by your choice that your where you are, when it's the right time for you, it's going to happen for you. Family and kids that is. Before you know it you'll be married, have five kids running around and daydreaming about your single days, sigh...

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Hi Jessica!
I was so excited to hear from you. Can I just say...you are absolutely gorgeous!!! You always have been but seeing your pictures reminded me of that amazing hair you have! I think what you are doing is awesome. You've been so many places, seen so many cool things and are pursuing an awesome career field! Kudos to you! Life doesn't seem to turn out the way we picture it in our lives as little kids...and if it did, how boring would that be? I say, keep plugging along your path. You are doing awesome.

We went to Virginia last summer. My brother lives in Charlotesville. It was my first time being back east...loved it! It's so dang pretty there.

Jessica said...

Thanks Cheri and Amy :)!!