Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tulipomania

Among biology majors, there arises two types of people; plant people and animal people. There are those who really hate plants and abhor taking the required plant requirements; and then there are those weirdos that are obsessed with plants and end up dedicating their lives to them.
Although I would like to claim being both, I could very well be the latter.
In the summer time, when I was a kid, as a form of punishment, my mother would make me weed the garden. I guess, since she was the daughter of a farmer, being made to go work in a garden WAS punishment. I laugh every time I think of this, b/c I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
At least once a day, I fantasize about when I no longer live in the city and have a garden of my own. I think about how I'm going to ward off beetles, and how I'll encourage pollinators. I wonder about all the delicious vegetables I'm going to plant and how I'll use them to feed my family and neighbors. I daydream about the lovely flowers (spring tulips in particular) that will serve as decor and also encourage certain vegetable growth. Pretty soon, I'm thinking, well, if I'm going to have a garden I might as well have some chickens too. (I don't know where this connection comes from...) and with chickens must also come at least one cow to milk. I should probably also have some goats, so I can have different kinds of milk and cheese, since my palate needs variety. I'm definitely going to need a boat, b/c I'm going to live next to water so I can fish. Then I think... this is really going to teach my kids discipline, and how to be self sufficient...
I know, I live a rich fantasy life. I want to be a dentist/botanist/gardener/milk-maid/fishing mom who speaks 3-4 languages.



These are two books that I'm reading for a class that I love... I recommend them for those of you who are interested in how plants shape our world economically and otherwise.



5 comments:

PawPaw & Grammy said...

Hmmmm plants, nice reading. So I checked out your blog and enjoyed reading. By the way we live on Little Salmon River in a RV park. The Main Salmon is about 7 miles away. We have our steelhead fishing licenses (big salmon) and plan to catch some soon. That is free salmon and it is so good and good for you too. That will be our main meat this spring/summer. Come visit when you are in Idaho.

Anonymous said...

HI! I am glad you found me! It's good to see what you are up to. Looks like you are having a ton of fun, and yes, I do recognize you and you do look the same, older, but the same!

Jason, Amanda, Brayden and Dillon said...

Hey Jessica,
It was fun to see you have a blog! I haven't seen ya forever! It looks like you are doing awesome! If you are ever in town let me know!

Jeni said...

Hi Jessica! You don't know me, but I enjoyed your blog. I'm friends with Stacy Holloway Hutchinson, and from the looks of it, you're a family relation? I saw a picture of Dixie and I see Lorna commented on this post. I'm also a "blog-stalker" :) I saw your comment on Stacy's blog and clicked on your name.

I, too, love flowers. I'm a floral designer/stay-at-home mom. One day I plan to have a beautiful vegetable and flower garden. Oh, and some fruit trees. Peaches, maybe apples. No, wait...pears! Mmmm. Home grown goodness. My husband is in dental school here in New Orleans @ LSU. He's about to start his senior year (yes! Almost done!). I wish you the best of luck at getting accepted. The first two years suck, but the last two are fun (according to him). Keep on bloggin' and I'll keep stalkin'.

Jeni Mangum

P.S. My husband was a "hate plants" and "love animals" biology major:) I don't have a preference...I was an art major:)

Jessica said...

boxochocolates:
I'm glad you're enjoying my mindless chatter! I think it's so awesome that you and Mr. Chuck are having adventures, fishing and camping, I am seriously so jealous! I hope that I can come visit you while I'm home, I'd love to see you!

Conley clan:
yeah..., I am having fun, and it looks like you are too! (I'm glad you recognize me...haha)

Jason, amanda & brayden:
Thanks girl! Are you still living in Twin? I'll be home in May, I'd love to meet your lil family!

Jeni:
I'm glad to meet another fellow blog stalker! haha!
Thanks for the compliment, but no, I'm actually not blood related to the Holloways, but I might as well be! Dixie and I are as close as they come, and I consider her family my family! Stacy is a riot, isn't she!
that's awesome that your husband is going through dental school! It is a great profession all around, he'll have lots of time for his family!
We'll be in touch!

xo
jess